isothermalsection

Author Topic: Which is the best Weather Station to buy?  (Read 34337 times)

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
    • Wairoa, Hawkes Bay Weather
  • Station: WS3085
Which is the best Weather Station to buy?
« on: November 14, 2012, 09:53:21 PM »
I have roamed around reading reviews but of course these retailers all write glowing reviews for all their weather station.
So I thought it would be best to ask here for your opinions as at least you guys will not steer me wrong plus I may need you to help me set it up .
No radar, just the basics plus solar and UV I guess. I want those sunshine hours :)

So which weather Station make and model do I upgrade to please?

Thanks in advance.
JL

Living in Wairoa, Northern Hawkes Bay

Offline gabba

• Financial Supporter
    • Hutt Weather
  • Station: Vantage Vue, Weather Display, Webcam.
Re: Which is the best Weather Station to buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 10:05:40 PM »
Some questions:
(a) How much do you want to spend
(b) Willing to stick with cumulus or weather display (gives you an option to use 1-wire for solar for about $100 more)
(c)Do you have room to put a weather station out away from any obstructions, or are you constrained. Might not be worthwhile going for a $$$$ station when you are going to get the same accuracy out of a $$ station
(d) how important is overall accuracy to you?

Cheers, Andrew

Vantage Vue, Weather Display, Webcam.
www.huttweather.co.nz

Maungaraki, Lower Hutt, New Zealand

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 11:49:31 PM »

a) As much as it takes.
b) Cumulus :)
c) At present it is 25ft up on a pole away from anything.
d) Accuracy is important hence why I want to upgrade.

Thanks Gabba :)

Offline TokWW

• Grim
  • Global Moderator
  • Another Engineer
    • Tokoroa North Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 08:27:49 PM »
As far as I know, there are better stations than Davis - its just that the Davis are commonly used and readily available.  They do break down, have problems with moisture, batteries, communication, failed wind speed cups, failed solar cells, connector sockets etc. 

There are others that don't.  The Vaisala family for one, they are ruggedised and are remote station primary choice. No moving parts... Texas Instruments have a range that are pretty tough and accurate too. But I am not sure if either of those two are compatible with Cumulus, but WD does talk to both of them :)  I know the Vaisala is available in NZ but not sure about TI.  Need to search out any others...

Offline gabba

• Financial Supporter
    • Hutt Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »
Yep - ditto to what Tokww said. Apart from the high end professional ones, a wireless Davis would be your next best bet
You'd get the solar sensor, and the ability to stick sensors in their optimum positions. Will work with Cumulus too.

Next down I'd suggest a Vantage Vue with Weather display and a 1 wire solar sensor. You'll need WD as it handles the 1 wire sensor, whereas Cumulus won't do that directly. If you are starting from scratch you are probably looking at about half the price of a wireless Davis Vantage Pro, and for that you loose the flexibility to put the sensors in an optimum position.

According to Davis there is not a significant difference, and measurements I did against my old OS WMR928 with separate sensors also suggested there was little difference. It really depends on if you can justify the cost for the extra flexibility.

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 10:52:06 PM »
Ok I have looked these all up.
The Vaisala appears to be more for the north pole or the auckland airport :)
The Texas ones are just plain confusing.
Is the the best I can get in NZ as far as the Davis range goes?

http://www.davisnet.co.nz/6/vantage_pro2_weather_stations/vantage_pro2_stations/wireless_vantage_pro2_systems/6163_wireless_vantage_pro2_plus_/

Also could one of you please explain what is meant by 1-wired weather station
Is this like a separate part cabled to your PC.... shrug I dont get this :(
Thanks
JL

Offline Weather Display

• Weather Display
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 09:13:29 AM »
the guys are just trying to save you some money re going with 1 wire solar and UV instead of getting that with the davis
but if you have the budget then go with either a VP or VUE with solar and UV
I live in an extreme environment (very coastal) and the VP works great
note that you need to add a data logger though
I use an IP data logger

Brian
Awhitu, SW of Auckland

Offline Derek

• Waitakeres Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 09:58:23 AM »
You make your choice and pay your money...  :)

The performance specifications are obviously a major part of decision making, but there are other things to include in the consideration of any equipment - some that come to mind are

Design quality
Build quality
Reliability
Ease of set up
Compatibility with other equipment
Availability  of replacement parts
Upgradeability

It's also important to remember that, for what you want, that you don't need the utmost precision and accuracy that is "claimed" for some scientific weather stations sensors - in short, the type of spec's that Davis quote for their equipment are what you should be looking for and any another manufacturer that matches them may be worth considering.

I spent a lot of time looking at options before deciding to get my Davis VP2 (wireless), I'm extremely happy I did and have absolutely no feeling of "upgraditis" with it - if someone stole it, or a tree fell on it (not that likely now they're all gone), I'd go out and buy another one (only concession would be to get the fan aspirated radiation screen).   :)

Derek
Davis Vantage Pro2 / Cumulus 1.9.4 / WXSIM
web: Waitakeres weather
twitter: @Waitakeres

Offline gabba

• Financial Supporter
    • Hutt Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 06:16:57 PM »
Yep 1-wire is a cost saving measure. It means a Cat5e network cable plugged into the back of your PC, and connected to a sensor at the other end (ie not wireless). I guess it also has the advantage that if something fails in your weather station and you can't get parts you have the opportunity to connect up another sensor via the  1-wire network

Haven't compared the prices on the VP2's I've brought all my weather stuff from a guy in Blenheim (Scientific Sales) He does Davis stuff as well so it would be worthwhile at least comparing prices.

And definitely you will need a data logger of some type. It's save my bacon many a time, and is especially useful in storing data if you go away. Davis units need the data logger to connect to the PC

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 10:44:43 PM »
I'm back :)

Ok I found lots of stuff I can add once the basic is up and running.
But I cant find this data logger you speak of.
http://www.davisnet.co.nz/6/vantage_pro2_weather_stations/vantage_pro2_stations/wireless_vantage_pro2_systems/6162_wireless_vantage_pro2_plus_/6162_options_accessories/#Installation%20Options

Why do I need this.
Does the console not have a memory?
Meanwhile ones software has all the data stored.
So why do I need a data logger please.

Have also looked around S Sales site, thanks for this info :)

Offline Derek

• Waitakeres Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 05:05:17 AM »
http://www.davisnet.co.nz/6/vantage_pro2_weather_stations/vantage_pro2_stations/wireless_vantage_pro2_systems/6162_wireless_vantage_pro2_plus_/6162_options_accessories/#Installation%20Options[/url]

Why do I need this.
Does the console not have a memory?
Meanwhile ones software has all the data stored.
So why do I need a data logger please.

Have also looked around S Sales site, thanks for this info :)
The datalogger comes with WeatherLink, which is the Davis software interface for their stations.  You do not need to run WeatherLink software but if you are going to connect to a PC then you have to do so using the datalogger as there is no other connection provided in the console for this.

Here's the link,  http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06510USB
(that's for the USB logger)

So the datalogger fits into a compartment in the rear of the console where there is a connector for it, then there is a cable from the logger to the PC which can either be a serial connector or a USB (you choose when ordering it) - for USB you may need to do some configuration to make it a virtual serial port or something like that.

Offline iomkiwi

• Not a Brontophobic
  • Financial Supporter
  • Kerikeri, Bay of Islands
    • Kerikeri Weather Station
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 07:34:38 AM »
There is also an IP data logger that plugs straight into your router, I am not exactly sure how you get your data off it though. Don't know if you can get it straight or whether you have to download it from Davis' weatherlink site.

Could be a good option if you are in the habit of using lots of computers - or as a backup if your PC breaks down,,,,, - then you could use any PC as a backup.
Alan

Davis VP2+ with FARS
Blitzortung lightning (Green and Red)
Win7 pro
Weather Display, WXsim,

Offline Weather Display

• Weather Display
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 08:05:44 AM »
I use an IP data logger myself
WD connects straight to it (via your router, which its plugged into)
using the IP address that its assigned to
works great
I have seen reports of cumulus loosing the connection to an IP data logger so I would not recommend getting one to use with cumulus

Offline iomkiwi

• Not a Brontophobic
  • Financial Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »
If I was to change to an IP data logger would I have to get the whole thing or just the cable from the existing (serial) logger?

Offline Weather Display

• Weather Display
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 10:10:23 PM »
the whole thing...
and the cable is different..it has a dongle (which I presume handles the IP part) to plug in a normal LAN connection to your router or similar
(which has a flashing led light on it and a RF balun between that and the actual data logger that seats into the console (like the USB or serial one..same size/shape)

Offline manga

• Mnagwhai Heads Weather
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 09:15:39 AM »
Hi

I have  a Cabled Davies VP2 Pro which I imported from the States about 4.5 years ago. The savings was about $600. Before that I had a La Crosse.

Since I have had my VP2 I have had to replace the reed switch twice on my anemometer and it has failed again for a third time this week. The cost of a new switch is only a couple of bucks but soldering in a new one is tricky.

I have also replaced a temp/humidity sensor about 12 months ago.

If my VP2 died I would get another one.

If I had a bit of spare cash I would buy another one and have a spare station.

Cheers
Tony

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:21:55 AM by manga »
Weather Dedicated 24/7 HP Dual Core 1.8 Ghz CPU, 2GB Ram

Offline iomkiwi

• Not a Brontophobic
  • Financial Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »

Looks like I will get myself one - looks to be the easiest way to have a backup system (and I want to add to my flashing LED collection  :D )

That is part 6555 isn't it?

Offline Weather Display

• Weather Display
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 10:04:26 PM »
yup, thats the blimmin

and I want to add to my flashing LED collection

hahahaha!

Offline deepsouthweather

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 10:37:08 PM »
I originally used a LA CROSSE station and had endless issues with unreliability and innacuracy so went out a got a davis vp2. Compared with most of the other so called proffesional wx stations the shields and general build seems far superior. I couldnt amagine putting a WMR or Lacrosse station out in the sun and expecting accurate temperature readings as one example, I know the Lacrosse station suggested putting it in a shaded area but that seems to cost in accuracy in particular humidity.

My davis vp2 has been running now for nearly 4 years and up until the last few months its been flawless. Only recently Ive had two fails 1 was due to a broken windcup and the other the temp/humidity sensor failed. The great thing about these stations is the parts are easily replaceable and easy to get. I have recently had thoughts of replacing mine with the fully aspirated version as the current one only has the daytime aspiration kit add on but thats more money and a wife to negotiate with for that!

Offline TokWW

• Grim
  • Global Moderator
  • Another Engineer
    • Tokoroa North Weather
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 11:11:30 PM »
In support of the La Crosse, mine has been running for 7 years plus now and still get good accurate data - often cooler on bright sunny summer days than a local VP at the base of an 8m pole on a lawn.  I replaced the reed switch on the rain bucket with a more robust but also more sensitive one, and I have replaced the hygro twice, but now have a spare dried out in a cupboard ready for swap out. The console was replaced free(!!!) (from US) for me when LCD elements stopped working (it still goes) and so did the central button. The anemometer was replaced with a mates "broken bracket one" when water entry became too regular.  I regularly get higher wind readings and cooler max temps than those others around me (3 in town).  I upgraded the cables - the anemometer one with shielded instrument cable (3 times the price of Cat5e but free to me..) as it is 32m away from the hygro on the fence.

Ok I have had some failures in every component LOL! but it has given me excellent readings after improving the shielding and applying 24hr FARS to the new insulated (upturned narrow bucket) with draft tube out the top.  It is a hobby, and I have solved most ("all" is a bit hopeful!) of the issues with replacement or better cables, weather proofing (spraying battery and cable connections with CRC regularly) - and just being a caring careful owner.  I wont be buying a Davis, (they break down too as reported) I would next get a Vaisala WXT520 (I think there is another model now).  I have also added to the set with 1-Wire elements too for solar and night-time cloud sensor, plus temp monitor in my camera box etc.

It is a hobby and it takes nothing from me anymore except removal of bird bombs out of the rain bucket and spiders, and moisture out of connections.

Share via twitter

xx
Who Needs/wants a weather station?

Started by iomkiwi

11 Replies
Last post August 28, 2012, 07:33:28 AM
by iomkiwi
lamp
Other - Weather Station Manuals

Started by JennyLeez

5 Replies
Last post October 08, 2016, 01:25:40 PM