isothermalsection

Author Topic: Davis VP2 Temp/Humidity  (Read 4324 times)

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
    • Port Robinson Home Page
  • Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Davis VP2 Temp/Humidity
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:10:05 PM »
Hi to all Davis VP2 owners.
Looking back, I see I started this same conversation back in September 2014. Thought I'd make it a new topic for this time round.

My Temp/Humidity sensor has started to fail once again 3 years and 2 months after the replacement unit was fitted.  At that time there were a number of respondents that noted the life of their sensors was around that 3 year mark. Is this still the case and are people on to their 3rd or 4th sensor?  The Temp still seems give plausible looking readings, just the Humidity sensor showing 3-4%.  The rest of the station seems to work without a problem after 6 years of duty. Shame Davis doesn't seem to get a handle on this particular problem or maybe it's a regular 3 year clip of the ticket!

Anyone found a bargain source for this exorbitantly priced bit of electronics?  Please PM me if you have.

cheers
TonyC
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:25:10 PM by TonyC »

Davis VP Pro2 wireless with Solar sensor using Weather Display (ver10.37S(Build93) running on a Micro PC Windows 10
Port Robinson, North Canterbury weather station: Port Robinson, NewZealand

Offline PaulMy

• Financial Supporter
  • Enjoy!
    • KomokaWeather
  • Station: Davis VP2 Plus w/24 FARS 6163
Re: Davis VP2 Temp/Humidity
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 04:38:35 AM »
Hi Tony,
I am now 9+ years with my Davis VP2 and have had no issue, no replacements of any kind, never taken it down or apart, it just keeps on working (fingers crossed) and is in 30°C + and - conditions.  I've just replaced the ISS battery which has been in for about 7 years and both the first time and now I have replaced it just because, and winter was coming.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:40:56 AM »

I'd say you've been quite fortunate Paul. Back in the 2014 post there were about 4 other members with a similar issue and it is quite well known that Davis has had a problem with this sensor. I was hoping that when I last replaced it, they may have improved it.  Whether the fact of my station being right on the sea coast  may be a contributing factor is also an unknown which was why I was inquiring if others were still having to replace theirs.

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »
Just for the record, Weatherdata.co.nz appears to be the place to go for, which was the same place I purchased from in 2014. (Had to go through my bankcard records to work that one out!).  The one advantage of posting the subject on the forum was that it gave me a date of when it packed up last time and a period to search for where I paid for the replacement .
The sensor price is $103 incl GST and postage which is cheaper than trying to buy overseas as freight is the biggest killer.

Nice friendly service as well!

TC

Offline davidrg

• Weather stations
  • Station: Vantage Pro2 Plus (one cabled, one wireless)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 09:46:13 AM »
The sensor does have a limited lifespan which is reduced by exposure to a variety of substances. Dust, dirt and insects probably don't do much good either. So how often you have to replace it probably depends on where your weather station is located and what sources of pollution are nearby. This document covers handling instructions for the sensor IC itself including various things that can shorten its life:
https://www.sensirion.com/fileadmin/user_upload/customers/sensirion/Dokumente/2_Humidity_Sensors/Sensirion_Humidity_Sensors_Handling_Instructions_V4.pdf

I replaced the sensor in my Vue for the first time in April 2016. The weather station was installed in February 2013 so it lasted just over three years. Replacement part for the Vue is a bit expensive ($247) as the electronics are all nicely potted with no accessible connectors. So the sensor PCB can't be replaced on its own - you've got to replace *all* the electronics in the ISS. This means the replacement part can only be sourced from weatherdata as it includes the radio module. A bit of a design flaw in an otherwise quite nicely built unit.
Sandy Bay, Coromandel Peninsular - Vantage Pro2 Plus, webcam
Hamilton East - Vantage Pro2 Plus
Ruakura, Hamilton - Offline, maybe permanently, due to failed T/H sensor

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 10:26:19 PM »

Maybe I shouldn't moan too much about the price of the VP2 replacement then! :)

Admitedly, my station is only a couple of 100 metres from the Pacific ocean which may have a bearing on the lifespan. It does seem to be that 3 years is about the life of this part, with exceptions like Paul which skew the statisitics. Fortunately the wireless electronics seem to built of sterner stuff (touch wood!).

cheers
Tony C

Offline PaulMy

• Financial Supporter
  • Enjoy!
    • KomokaWeather
  • Station: Davis VP2 Plus w/24 FARS 6163
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 02:48:36 AM »
with exceptions like Paul which skew the statisitics.
And agreed on impact of site conditions.  While we have fairly high and low temps and some blistering snow storms on occasion, we don't have any of the sea side and salt water issues, nor severe winds.  Our Great Lakes are fresh water and I am about 40 km away from the nearest.

I am happy, and feel lucky.

Enjoy,
Paul

Share via twitter

xx
Temp/Humidity sensor Davis VP2

Started by TonyC

8 Replies
Last post June 21, 2016, 12:58:59 PM
by GrantK
xx
Humidity In Weather Display

Started by Mark

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 08:37:16 PM
by Mark
xx
Cumulus *Humidity* Default Settings of 99%

Started by JennyLeez

0 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 02:20:48 PM
by JennyLeez
question
Why does Weather Station Software only report up to 99% for Humidity.

Started by JennyLeez

10 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 01:06:58 PM
by JennyLeez
xx
Temperature / Humidity sensor with attached wi-fi webserver

Started by gabba

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2015, 09:39:51 AM
by TonyC