Author Topic: Davis VP2 serial to USB causing Weather Display to "Hang"  (Read 161 times)

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
    • Port Robinson Home Page
Davis VP2 serial to USB causing Weather Display to "Hang"
« on: January 08, 2019, 04:56:19 PM »
I recently transferred Weather display to another laptop which was running Windows7. My original Davis VP2 was purchased with a serial data logger and after being connected to desktops with serial ports for about 8 years, the time eventually came to purchase a serial to USB converter and upgrade the computer. I had it running on a high spec laptop, but then decided I needed that for grunty work, so transferred it to a lower spec Win7 one before Christmas. On the high spec laptop, things ran smoothly, with very few problems. On the current one, Weather Display started to hang with a worrying frequency. The computer itself and video capture software running concurrently seemed to still work fine after WD stopped working, which made me suspect that the problem was with either VP2 or WD.
I checked the Windows Power settings,that the "selective suspend settings" were disabled which they were and even turned off Avast virus protection to no avail. What did make me suspicious was that the problem occurred mostly during the night (about 1am). My initial thought for a solution was to run a  batch file to reboot the machine early every morning with a batch file run from Task Scheduler. Opening up Scheduler, I looked to see what tasks were already scheduled.............
Hmmmm!  At 1am a task was scheduled to which had "USB" in the name. Opening it up, the description said it was to run tests on the USB bus as part of the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program. Now I don't recall having opted in to that program and perhaps that was included in the original factory install. Disabling this task seems to have solved the issue as WD has behaved itself for the last few days. Needless to say, I've gone through the scheduler and disabled any other tasks which have CEIP in the description. Googling CEIP, I see there have been a number of issues of Performance, Hanging and Crashing with this program.

I thought I'd detail this experience in the hope it might assist someone else in the future when they've hit a brick wall.

regards
Tony C.

(Edit 5 hours later........)
Murphy's law strikes again!   It hung again just 3 hours after I thought it solved.  This time I've turned off the virus protection which I turned back on after writing the initial post. Will report whether that has any effect.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:16:07 PM by TonyC »

Davis VP Pro2 wireless with Solar sensor using Weather Display (ver10.37S(Build83) running on Windows 7
Port Robinson, North Canterbury weather station: Port Robinson, NewZealand

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
    • Port Robinson Home Page
Re: Davis VP2 serial to USB causing Weather Display to "Hang"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 09:50:18 AM »
I thought I'd do a wee update on my experience with this for anyone looking at it at a later date.....

The problem of WD hanging is still ocurring, which I guess eliminates Microsoft Customer Experience and Avast antivirus. The way I have dealt with it, is to reboot the laptop every 12 hours using a batch file consisting of one line ('reboot /r /f /t 00') executed by Scheduler.  By doing this, it highlighted another problem which has cropped up time to time. I use mapped drives to link my laptop running WD to my webserver. Now I don't know how many of you use mapped drives, but if you do frequently, you will commonly see the message "Cannot re-connect all network drives". This has ocurred in every version of Windows since XP and something Microsoft has never addressed. To connect the drive you have to open Explorer and click on it to relink. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be annoying.

WD reverts back to default as to where it creates the clientraw and web files if it cannot find alternative setups which is drive C:\wdisplay so I had to find a way to ensure my mapped drives were always available to WD at bootup time. Of course you can ftp the clientraw and web created files to other destinations, but I preferred to write them directly to the server.

I found on the net a useful batch file which I've named connectdrives.bat which checks the status of all mapped drives and reconnects them which I put in my startup folder to run each time the laptop boots up. Fine in theory, but WD set to start automatically always wanted to launch before my batch file restored the mapped drives.
To solve this, I unticked the box in WD for the program to launch at startup and created another batch file with a time delay which allowed connectdrive.bat to execute before WD.

Echo off
timeout 15 /nobreak
start "" " c:\wdisplay\weatherDisplay.exe
timeout 2 >nul
exit

If you'd like a copy of connectdrive.bat here is a link. http://www.portrobinson.nz/Download/connectdrives.txt I've renamed the file to connectdrive.txt. Just re-name the extension back to .bat.  Those familiar with batch files can incorporate the above into it to simplify the launch of WD.
Both files would need to be copied to your startup directory if you were going to duplicate my re-boot setup as well as creating a scheduled task to actually perform the reboot.

Rebooting my laptop every 12 hours seems to have stabilized everything for the time being. Long may it remain so!!

TC
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:09:19 PM by TonyC »

Share via twitter

xx
Weather lacking "oomph" for this time of year

Started by Te Puke Weather

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 11:10:27 AM
by Weather Display
lamp
"Weather Bomb" Kiwis' incorrect use of the term

Started by JennyLeez

0 Replies
Last post January 19, 2017, 11:22:14 AM
by JennyLeez
xx
Fire Weather Index "Another wee problem"

Started by hotcop65

1 Replies
Last post April 08, 2014, 11:04:48 AM
by JennyLeez
lamp
Post your Weather Station's "New Record" here.

Started by JennyLeez

111 Replies
Last post January 01, 2019, 09:38:36 AM
by Hank13
xx
Weather radar gets "bugged"

Started by OhauitiWeather

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2012, 09:42:15 PM
by TokWW