Author Topic: Open Air Quality Sensor Project  (Read 11306 times)

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
    • Wairoa, Hawkes Bay Weather
  • Station: WS3085
Open Air Quality Sensor Project
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:06:22 PM »
Thought I would share one of my latest projects with you all as most of you will not be aware of this ones existence.
I had followed the progress of two groups from New York and Amsterdam concerned re the ‘air that we breath’ for the last couple of years and finally decided at the end of last year to add my local environment.
To quote one of the developers:
‘Look outside your window — have you ever wondered what the quality of the air is out there? I mean RIGHT. OUT. THERE. 12 inches from your face. If so, you are out of luck. The air quality data collected by the government is likely sampled from far, far away and then applied to you on a regional level, almost completely useless from the standpoint of trying to understand or change the local dynamics of pollution that affect you. Not good.’

So they built an air quality system and called it ‘Air Quality Egg’ as that is what they look like.
Here is the blog re the history of the Open Air Quality Sensor Network:
http://blog.xively.com/2011/12/07/you-can-help-build-an-open-air-quality-sensor-network

The setup consists of a base which plugs straight into your modem/router and a wireless sensor.  No software or drivers to install. Easy.
The wireless sensor is hanging out my window at present as the sensor needs to be plugged into a power socket. They are bigger than they look, more the size of a coconut than an egg. They can be placed out in a shed, on a window sill, hung outside or inside. I have read some use them to help children with asthma, monitoring their bedrooms.

The sensors have the capability of reading the levels of Ozone, Carbon Monoxide, Nitrogen Dioxide, Volatile Organics and Air Quality Particulates ( Dust ), Temperature and Humidity depending what you purchase. You can buy the base unit and then add to it as your pocket or husband/wife allows :)

My data, from the base is being fed up to London every minute or so and can be found live on their Map. Click on any egg for their data. As you will see New Zealand has 4 Sensors but only 1 that is currently live. Links are at the bottom of that page if you are interested in buying, plus links to wiki help and the Google forum group.
http://airqualityegg.com/

Data feeds are provided by xively.com owned by Logmein. Here is mine.
https://xively.com/feeds/1962124815

Needless to say I wanted to go one step further and add a page to my website. One has to have a project :)
With the usual help from a very patient beteljuice I drew up the page and he did the coding to extract my data from the xively feeds.

I am finding it really interesting moving the sensor around the place measuring the Ozone, Carbon Monoxide and Nitrogen Dioxide levels around me. One thing I have proven, it is safer to shut all doors and windows and stay inside.
Needless to say our rural levels are low but it sure would be interesting to compare levels say in the middle of Auckland or Wellington City.

Here is my page, it is a work in progress as I would like to add to the dashboard with more visual info regarding the levels and the health risk. Just don’t tell beteljuice as I am going to need more coding done :)
If anyone is interested it has been well worth the investment so go for it.

http://wairoa.net/weather/aqeDay.htm
Links to week and month graphs are at the bottom.

Cheers

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 03:39:28 PM by JennyLeez »

Living in Wairoa, Northern Hawkes Bay

Offline Martin4Jay

• Financial Supporter
  • I am disabled and love the changes in weather
    • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taunton
Re: Open Air Quality Sensor Project
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:14:12 PM »
http://blog.xively.com/2011/12/07/you-can-help-build-an-open-air-quality-sensor-network[/url]

Very interesting reading Jen now were is my boiled eggs! ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:23:19 PM by JennyLeez »
Taunton Narols Farm

They call me the secret squirrel

Offline beteljuice

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 12:48:12 AM »
Just don’t tell beteljuice as I am going to need more coding done :)
Time for a sabbatical in a hermitage, or perhaps the Tigers Nest methinks ........
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow

Offline PaulMy

• Financial Supporter
  • Enjoy!
    • KomokaWeather
  • Station: Davis VP2 Plus w/24 FARS 6163
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 04:00:26 AM »
Very interesting, and well done with those pages Jenny and beteljuice - a gadget isn't much fun if you can't show it off eh.  I had read something about this some months ago but didn't quite understand the community project aspect.  Jenny you have explained it well.  Checked around and found there is an Egg about 50 km north of me in St Marys, and quite a few in Ontario.  The next nearest is in the City of Hamilton about 150 km to the east and it is identified as a Hamilton Public Health - test unit trial. 

Thanks Jenny, I will follow up on this - and all I would need to buy is the Egg, around $200?  What about the other optional items?

Paul

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
    • Port Robinson Home Page
  • Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 08:54:16 AM »
Hmmmm!
It has certainly piqued my interest. I'm thinking more for my Christchurch base than the country residence. Interesting that the only other one in Chch hasn't been turned on since September. Probably belongs to ECAN. Most of the pollution stuff they release is politically motivated in their crusade against log burners.
It would be good to get a group of people all over the city involved which could dispel myths with good solid hard facts over long periods of time rather than snapshots released to the media when it suits the purpose.
Any idea of the wireless frequency and range Jenny? Likely interfere with the multitude of other wireless devices in the house? Any problems with customs with the importation?
cheers
TC
Davis VP Pro2 wireless with Solar sensor using Weather Display (ver10.37S(Build93) running on a Micro PC Windows 10
Port Robinson, North Canterbury weather station: Port Robinson, NewZealand

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 11:35:20 AM »
Any idea of the wireless frequency and range Jenny? Likely interfere with the multitude of other wireless devices in the house? Any problems with customs with the importation?

Tony that is exactly why they began this venture. Yes you are not wrong, having them scattered around Christchurch certainly would prove a point.

Paul and Tony the base unit comes with the temp, humidity, Carbon Monoxide and Nitrogen Dioxide sensors. Here is what you can add. I added the ozone and will add the AQP ( Air Quality Particulate - Dust) and VoC in due course.
http://shop.wickeddevice.com/product/volatile-organics-voc-sensor-add-on/

Paul the ozone is probably not so much of a concern up there as down here so I would be more likely to opt for one of the others. I see the VoC sensor is out of stock. I will find out when this will be available.

No problems with postage. It just arrived :)
No problems with multi wireless around house or business.
No interference I have found and I have plenty of gadgets here :)

Range I am not sure.
I will take it for a walk out back with an extension cable and see how far I get :)
I will let you know.

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 12:03:42 PM »
Thanks Jenny.
I see the base unit is $US185. What did it cost you in $NZ landed? Generally freight from the US is pretty high.
I sent the link to Chris Crowe of ChCh earthquake fame (a fellow wine enthusiast) who lives the other side of the city to me and he's shown interest.
The unit is Arduino based. I've built a couple of switches to control my water heater from Christchurch and can also turn the PC on and off over the internet. I've a spare board or two in the junk box. From what I paid for them and the cost of a wireless shield (plain ethernet shields are a lot cheaper than the wireless variety), the $185 doesn't look bad.
I guess the base station board sets itself up a web server and the remote board writes a file similar to clientraw to it. would that be right?
I can feel the coins rattling around in my pocket!!!
TC

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 01:30:54 PM »
Hi Tony,

I went for first class shipping as I did not want to wait plus more reliable. That cost me $23.40.
My visa card added a few dollars for conversion but that was that.

The system is completely standalone.
The base plugs straight into your modem/router.
It send your data to
http://airqualityegg.com/
See up top, right. You add your egg serial number there plus other details. This then adds it to their system.
You are emailed your ID number and a link to your feeds on xively.
https://xively.com/feeds/1962124815
If you did not see the first time, click graphs top right for the graphs.

Thats it.
From your site you can link to that page.

I went further and built my own page from ideas I gained from their Discussion forum. Using the txt feeds to extract my data.
These are hidden and you have a username and password once signed up to allow access.

As you will see I am trying to sort out the time zone.
http://airqualityegg.wikispaces.com/group

It is totally separate to WD and Cumulus.

Offline beteljuice

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 11:22:25 PM »
Just a 'bump' Jenny ...

What's happening ?

Xively don't seem to be involved anymore, the wiki seems incomplete and the map doesn't work.
I can't see you anywhere although your web page appears to be updating and there are plenty of other NZ on the wicked devices site - but I can't see anyones data ?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 09:31:54 AM by beteljuice »

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 08:36:03 AM »
I had an email from WU the other day pushing the cause of some air quality monitoring.........
TC

Offline Wolfie33

• Administrator
    • Opotiki Town Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 09:34:05 AM »
Yep, me too Tony
was dated 14/08/2017 & about this . . .
Purple Air    https://www.purpleair.com/?utm_source=WU&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=PWS_Owners
Aercus WS2083, Cumulus 1.9.4 on Windoze XP
Sensors on a broomstick in back yard, for now!!
Web:  Opotiki weather

Offline beteljuice

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 10:28:29 AM »
So .... 'as recommended' by WU, Purpleair (which only looks at at paticulate pollution) admit to having design problems whereby the reported temperature is upto 7 C high because of the heat generated by their wifi circuitry  :o

Although no longer involved with weather, I was toying with the idea of somesort of community project with air pollution --- doesn't look like that truly exists at the moment !

Offline Weather Display

• Weather Display
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 11:22:59 AM »
weather display software now supports the purple air sensor
just a FYI

Brian
Awhitu, SW of Auckland

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 11:20:46 AM »
Hi Readers,
@beteljuice

So what happened to my egg data the beteljuice did ask.

First I noticed the AQE web site changed. Then I noticed the map changed and no one in New Zealand was on it initially.
At that stage my data was still uploading and I could access it using the scripts betel wrote for me, plus view the data through xively.

A month or so later xively also went down, removed, gone, deleted........  yep not there.
And neither was my data. It appeared to be uploading to who knows where. Meanwhile I had big empty gaps on my web pages  :'(

So I emailed the founder of this AQE and was advised:
The egg I have is now redundant. It has been replaced by a better brighter egg of which will cost me a few hundred dollars to purchase.
Only the new version eggs will be able to upload data and also placed on the Map.

Needless to say the email I sent back was not to savoury.
What a waste of money. AQE marketed a product, opened my account, accepted my uploading, allowed access to my data and then turned around and dumped the whole thing. Needless to say, I am somewhat angry re all this.

My egg now resides in a box heading to the dump. I am not spending hundreds of dollars to replace what I had. Who knows, this could happen again.

So beteljuice that is what happened.

Cheers
Jenny

Offline beteljuice

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 12:23:02 PM »
Ahh ......

Sometimes being a pie-on-ear results in egg-on-face  :blank:

... so spake the beteljuice.

Share via twitter

xx
Air Quality - Pollutant Graphs Scripts

Started by avoorpool

0 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 07:02:44 PM
by avoorpool
xx
WUnderground New API Gateway is Open

Started by Wolfie33

0 Replies
Last post March 04, 2019, 09:48:51 PM
by Wolfie33
xx
The heavens open on Sin City Vagas

Started by Martin4Jay

0 Replies
Last post July 07, 2015, 08:21:51 PM
by Martin4Jay
xx
OPen Air Fire Ban - Northern Hawkes Bay 21/12/2012

Started by JennyLeez

4 Replies
Last post December 22, 2012, 12:13:08 AM
by JennyLeez
xx
Christchurch City Centre to open mid-year.

Started by Suezy

0 Replies
Last post January 08, 2013, 08:44:34 PM
by Suezy