Author Topic: Microsoft launches Windows 10 Wednesday 29th July.  (Read 5028 times)

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
    • Wairoa, Hawkes Bay Weather
  • Station: WS3085
Microsoft launches Windows 10 Wednesday 29th July.
« on: July 29, 2015, 11:19:51 AM »
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Microsoft's new Windows 10 operating system debuts Wednesday, as the longtime leader in PC software struggles to carve out a new role in a world where people increasingly rely on smartphones, tablets and information stored online.

No one's expected to line up overnight for Windows 10, the way people did 20 years ago for Windows 95. But Microsoft is counting on tens or even hundreds of millions of people to download its latest release for free in the coming months. The launch will be accompanied by a global marketing campaign for an event the company hopes will be pivotal — both for its own future and for a vast audience of computer users around the world.

Windows 10 is coming to PCs and tablets first, but it's also designed to run phones, game consoles and even holographic headsets. It has new features, a streamlined Web browser called Edge and a desktop version of Cortana, the online assistant that is Microsoft's answer to Google Now and Apple's Siri.
Still, the company insists Windows 10 will seem familiar to users of Windows 7, the six-year-old operating system still running on most PCs.

Microsoft and PC makers want to erase the memory of the last big update, 2012's Windows 8, which alienated many with its jarring, unwieldy design.
Microsoft skipped the name Windows 9, as if to distance itself further from the last release.

While many analysts believe Windows 8 made sagging PC sales even worse, it's unclear if Windows 10 will spur the industry back to growth.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:18:44 PM by JennyLeez »

Living in Wairoa, Northern Hawkes Bay

Offline Martin4Jay

• Financial Supporter
  • I am disabled and love the changes in weather
    • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taunton
Re: Microsoft launches Windows 10 Wednesday 29th July.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 08:34:47 PM »
Thank you Jenny sit back and see what happens 8)
Taunton Narols Farm

They call me the secret squirrel

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
    • Port Robinson Home Page
  • Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 09:03:33 AM »
My Acer AIO (6 months old) was returned to base under warranty and is due back in the next couple of days with replacement motherboard. As it had a factory reinstall to try to ascertain the problems with it, I may as well give Windows10 a try and reinstall all my software on the new platform. As a fresh install, it will be an interesting exercise.
TC
Davis VP Pro2 wireless with Solar sensor using Weather Display (ver10.37S(Build93) running on a Micro PC Windows 10
Port Robinson, North Canterbury weather station: Port Robinson, NewZealand

Offline choc-a-holic

• Worlds Our Oyster
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 04:19:32 PM »
I have upgraded one laptop to Windows 10 successfully and my partner tried upgrading another but it keeps failing.  Reading the tech forums, there are a lot of people having interesting issues upgrading.  I would make sure you have loads of spare time to deal with the issues you might encounter.   

I like what I see....it seems much better than Windows 8 at first play.  I have been playing with local accounts versus Microsoft logins and have struck a problem where I cannot create local accounts.  Need more time to investigate this issue. 

I have found that the Microsoft Edge browser uses Bing for it's searches and it is not obvious at first on how to change this....of Google had the answer.  I found some websites I went to had display issues.  It does seem quick thou even on our slow adsl 1 link.  Chrome is working fine.

I use Comodo for Internet security on the laptop and it has issues and I await a fix.  This laptop had limited software on it so have not struck any other issues.  I would Google the software you use and check to see if others have had problems after upgrading - save yourselves some time & hair pulling  :)

If you are planning on doing a clean install, then there is an ISO you can download, however there are tricks to getting the free upgrade and many recommend upgrading 1st so you get your free Windows 10 license activated with Microsoft.
Mahana, Tasman - WMR200

Offline gabba

• Financial Supporter
    • Hutt Weather
  • Station: Vantage Vue, Weather Display, Webcam.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »
No issues here. I have learnt from past Microsoft releases to reserve judgement. They all have been release with great hooplah and everyone thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread, and then over months or even years it becomes the "dog" of the family - but wait there is a new version to upgrade to!!

The laptop I'm running it on has little else on it, and no issues with the upgrade. I do suspect based on the last few comments on the forum about the release candidates there will be some teething issues, but so far so good for me.
Cheers, Andrew

Vantage Vue, Weather Display, Webcam.
www.huttweather.co.nz

Maungaraki, Lower Hutt, New Zealand

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:37:55 AM »
Mine has been running for a couple of days and I have to say it's a big improvement on Windows 8.1 which I've hated.

Haven't struck any compatibility problems so far. It's more or less a fresh install as the upgrade was on top of a factory reset version of 8.1
Impressed that it finds wireless printers and installs the drivers on its own initiative.
If you have a low data cap, it'll eat into that. The upgrade knocked 4gb off mine. Some of that would have been 8.1 downloading updates before doing the ver10 upgrade. You wouldn't want to upgrade using cellular!

On the performance so far, I think I'd upgrade my Windows7 computers before the free upgrade expires in 11 months.

Offline ato2

• Financial Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 06:39:12 PM »
I upgraded, using the .iso I had downloaded.
Some advantages- it does seem good at recognising hardware but after a few days I rolled it back to Windows 7.
Win 10 is annoying- idiotic split between control panel and settings plus the needless steps to try and customise the desktop. Don't like the way updates are set up and the  Windows Store is below par.Also, I don't know what Microsoft has got against Windows Media Center! And One Drive or whatever it now is is a pain.
And, I find the GUI jarring and ugly. Personal opinion only but no reason for a desktop not to have all the bells and whistles easy to hand if the owner wants to have that.
Windows 10 did do an excellent job of rolling back to Win 7.
"Send more beer!"
[found in a report to HQ, from a Officer stationed in some outpost in Roman Britain]

Offline gabba

• Financial Supporter
    • Hutt Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 11:12:09 PM »
Yes - agree re media centre. I have a win 8.1 machine that won't be going anywhere until I have a replacement for Win MC

Also to those installing win 10, take careful note of the privacy settings when it goes through the install process. I think I switched most of them off, but they are on by default.

Has anyone upgraded their weather PC yet? Perhaps the ultimate test of faith round here?

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 10:59:04 PM »
Beware upgrading to Windows10 if you have a Nvidia video card installed.
I've just spent a day trying to upgrade a computer from Win7 toWin10 unsuccessfully.
I'm eventually resorting to a fresh install using the default video drivers as I found when I was looking for the latest Nvidia drivers that I was not alone in having Win10 crashing while attempting the upgrade and the video was to blame. I'll try installing the proper drivers once Win10 is working happily.
Make sure you back everything up well before having a go!

You can download from Microsoft a media creation tool which will allow you to create media (either USB or a DVD) to save you having to download Windows10 install at each attempt. I wish I'd found that about 5 hours ago!!

TC

Offline Martin4Jay

• Financial Supporter
  • I am disabled and love the changes in weather
    • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taunton
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 12:10:38 AM »

Tony how would I find it to make sure bud?

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 10:22:24 AM »
Microsoft make nothing easy!
I cloned my Win7 disk to another and set it to boot from that before setting the upgrade in motion., however I left the original disk drive still connected. BAD MISTAKE!
The upgrade not only worked in the boot disk, but also altered the boot manager of the original, so my backup was knackered as well. My advice would be to disconnect all other drives while performing the upgrade.
The other issue is the product key Microsoft issues. I requested an update and eventually they sent me an email with the product key to use for the upgrade. I cut and pasted it and away went the upgrade. However when I looked for that email to attempt a re-install, it had mysteriously disappeared. Microsoft had somehow recalled it. When you receive the product key MAKE A HARD COPY OF IT plus copy it into Notepad and file it.
I'm back to where I was 24 hours ago, with an activated fresh copy of Windows7 with a couple of gigs of updates in order to get the little window (in the lower right of the taskbar)  to order an upgrade. So far all it tells me is that I'm in the queue again to upgrade.
Until I get a product key again I can't use the USB drive created by the Media Creation tool which has the 3gb install package on it. Round and round the circle we go!
{sigh}

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
    • Wairoa, Hawkes Bay Weather
  • Station: WS3085
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 06:52:30 PM »
My first Introduction to Windows 10.

Today I was presented with a 3 in 1 PC with Windows 10 to setup for a client.
After suffering through the initial setup, including being forced to create a MS account that my client did not want, I arrived at the windows 8.1 desktop with a big notice stating I should click there to install windows 10.
Huh!!!!
The client had been told it had windows 10 installed on it????

So we clicked to install Windows 10. First though it was necessary to download it!!!
Huh again 2.7GBs worth :(
It downloaded and installed.
We then rebooted and low and behold I had to go through the whole setup process again :(

3 hours later I arrived at the Windows 10 Desktop.  3 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was I happy? Happy I was not.

However once I had lowered my blood pressure the installation of client necessary apps was painless.

I do like the layout. I do like having the windows 7 desktop back. I do like the start menu.

Mostly though I am pleased to see all the missing bits back where they should be on the start menu instead of having to go digging for them.
Windows 8 was definitely not a techs delight.

Cheers.

Offline ato2

• Financial Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 08:27:54 PM »
Three hours- that is about right- it takes its time! However, after many weeks of deciding and running Win 7/Win 8.1/Win 10 Insider Program (plus an upgrade of Win 7 to Win 10 after July 29) I have settled on Win 8.1 as my primary OS.

Offline gabba

• Financial Supporter
    • Hutt Weather
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 01:05:31 PM »
Still happy with mine. I'm now running Win7 (weatherPC), Win 8.1 (main PC) and Windows 10 (development laptop). Only issue I have seen with the latter is that the wireless driver seems a bit flakey. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. A swift reboot normally fixes the problem.

I agree W10 seems to have taken the best bits from all three OS's. I'm not planning on upgrading the other machines at this stage, until I find a good Media Centre replacement for the W8.1 machine, and someone else does the upgrade on the weather PC first LOL

Share via twitter

xx
Microsoft to retire Windows Live brand ahead of Windows 8 launch

Started by OhauitiWeather

0 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 08:42:45 PM
by OhauitiWeather
xx
Samsung launches low-end Windows Phone with 4-inch display

Started by OhauitiWeather

0 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 07:36:02 PM