isothermalsection

Author Topic: FWI Calculator Software  (Read 29061 times)

Offline iomkiwi

• Not a Brontophobic
  • Financial Supporter
  • Kerikeri, Bay of Islands
    • Kerikeri Weather Station
Re: FWI Calculator Software
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »

WD should upload it automatically, what times have you got that file 34 set up to upload?

And WD uploads at 1pm so your previous post may have been a bit early for it to appear on your website.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:55:00 PM by iomkiwi »
Alan

Davis VP2+ with FARS
Blitzortung lightning (Green and Red)
Win7 pro
Weather Display, WXsim,

Offline iomkiwi

• Not a Brontophobic
  • Financial Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 07:56:35 PM »
@Graeme

The %temp% tag works fine for me with WD

A note to all using WD, it seems that WD calculates the fwi at 1pm (not sure if this is year round or just during daylight saving) so you will need to change your parse time to 13:02
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:58:59 PM by iomkiwi »

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
    • Port Robinson Home Page
  • Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 09:52:10 AM »
In my case, the parser doesn't like the 'C' which is output using the  %temp% tag and throws up an error message and affects the rest of the readings. Using the 'no decimal point' keeps the parser happy. Don't know whether the version I downloaded is different to what others have or using XP as an OS makes any difference. I guess it's something to look out for if the install instructions don't produce the required result.

I set WD to produce the wx4.html file every 15 minutes. It creates it directly to the onsite web server  so I don't need to upload it. I've set FWI to parse every 15 minutes, so the whole thing operates automatically.

cheers
TC
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:15:15 AM by TonyC »
Davis VP Pro2 wireless with Solar sensor using Weather Display (ver10.37S(Build93) running on a Micro PC Windows 10
Port Robinson, North Canterbury weather station: Port Robinson, NewZealand

Offline iomkiwi

• Not a Brontophobic
  • Financial Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 08:55:25 PM »
Tony

in the custom web pages setup you might have the box for "include the units" ticked, but don't know if you need it ticked for the rest of your site.

Offline APNP

• Arthur's Pass Information
  • Station: Davis VantagePRO & VantageVUE + W830 station
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 11:41:33 AM »
Thanks Tony, didn't realise WD might include unit text. FWICalc should already "clean" the 4 input values of any unnecessary alpha characters - not sure what is happening there (have rewritten the cleaner in the BETA version, but only to reduce the code, as it has been working fine - or at least I thought it was) - maybe if you get a chance set up WD again to recreate the issue and attach the outputted Data File here.

Note: I have been working on Build 105 for some time now, implementing many of the ideas that have presented by users in the past year or so. I will put it as a BETA on the website shortly (v10.2.1.105 BETA). It includes an upgraded Fireboard Graphic (more options), Danger Code Thresholds can now be adjusted (for FWI, CBI, Angstrom, GFDI & FFDI), there is an option in Setup to force FWICalc to adjust for Daylight Saving Time (force the data file parse time forward by one hour if daylight saving is active on that computer) - this will keep the FWI data consistent, have changed the BKDI algorithm yet again to try and solve issues associated in low rainfall areas, and lots of minor changes to strengthen the application. Obviously this is a BETA (not final release) so it may contain new bugs!

Windows 7 & 8 have been causing more grief - New installations of FWICalc should not be installed in the "Program Files" folder otherwise files (eg. graphics) it dynamically creates can become hidden or locked on some systems (really only an issue if you are trying to access them using third party software - Explorer, FTP, graphics apps etc; FWICalc will function OK otherwise). It should be installed in a root folder (eg. C:\FWI\). I have changed the msi file now so this will be the default, or it will overwrite previous versions where they reside already. If it is already installed in the Program Files folder leave it there!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:37:46 PM by APNP »
Environmental software developer + jack of all.

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
    • Wairoa, Hawkes Bay Weather
  • Station: WS3085
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 12:57:01 AM »
Beta version working fine so far on my trusty WinXP.

How are you getting on iomkiwi?

Living in Wairoa, Northern Hawkes Bay

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 10:45:48 AM »
In answer to questions I have posted the below on another forum. I decided it also might be an idea to post it here. Note: Member uses Cumulus Software.

In brief: Set up Data – Make a web page – Parse web page – upload webpage.

Setup
Go through and set up FWICalc following the Readme – Setting up Data. This can take a couple of days to get right especially the Cure Table. There is a bit of reading there but worth following it down. It took me a week before I was happy with what it was reporting.
It took me another week playing to sort out a web page. So yes it is a bit of work, but worth it.

Under FWI setup, bottom left.
If using Cumulus your Data File Type and Location is your realtime.txt. So select that and set the path. I will add a screenshot down bottom as readme is different.
FWICalc will auto update from there once a day.

Web Page
As far as the web page is concerned. It is up to you to build one.
In the readme, Under Internet Options – File Options the author has added an example which is a good starting point.
So open wxnewpage.php
Rename this to say wxfwicalc.php and save.
Slot the example in between:
Code: [Select]
<div id="main-copy">

<h1><?php langtrans('Fire Weather Index'); ?></h1>
<p>The following is FWI Data for the ^fwistation^.</p>
<p>Last Updated: ^fwitime^</p>
^fwitable^   

</div><!-- end main-copy -->
Save this a second time and call it wxfwicalcT.php as the tags are parsed much the same as the Cumulus tags are in the standard version.

Parse web Page
Now we set up to parse the file.
In readme this is under Internet Options – File Options.
In FWICalculator click on Web Files.
Under Input files put the path to your wxfwicalcT.php something like
C:\cumulus\fwi\wxfwicalcT.php
On the other side under output files:
C:\cumulus\fwi\wxfwicalc.php

Click on Parse Now and that will replace the tags with your data.

Upload web page
Set up the FTP side of things as in the Readme – Internet Options – Dialup / FTP Setup.
Then,
Follow the readme to process this file and upload – Internet Options – FTP File List Select.
In this scenario under FTP File List Select you will have something like:
C:\cumulus\fwi\wxfwicalc.php
And under Server path:
public_html/wxfwicalc.php

To do a manual upload: Under Internet select Start FTP(Send all)
If FTP settings are correct, this will send this page up to your server.
Open it and see what you have.

I have not tested the above in the Saratoga template but I have no doubt it will stick out to the right :)

You can preen that back by unticking some of the columns – FWI Setup – tab Application Settings. On the left – Front page Chart Titles and under Show. Untick what you do not want.
Here is the above without any styling.
http://wairoa.net/weather/fwi/fwi_test.php

This gives you a brief outline as to how fwicalc works.
It is up to you to build your web page adding the fwi tags for parsing and displaying.
The full list of tags are in the readme. Get creative :)

Create some graphs for uploading. There is 2 full pages in the readme covering this. Then upload. Add links to these in your web page. Here are 2 examples of what can be done. This is a standalone page.
http://wairoa.net/weather/fwi/fire_index.php
This is the same page incorporated into the Saratoga template.
http://wairoaweather.net/wxfwi.php

Jenny

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 10:56:36 AM »
Below some point from Graeme:

In NZ users should display the FWI reading on their fireboard.
In OZ it should FFDI.
In USA it should be CBI.

For a "new" install, the BETA would be better, as he has ironed out a few minor bugs and it has better options for Windows 7 & 8.

Note: "Functioning requirement is that the data needs to be updated daily (for FWI, GFDI, FFDI) either automatically or manually. These fire indexes all require data (weather & fire) from the previous day to calculate the current day. Hence that is why FWICalc will stop (or optionally put in "fudge" data while on auto), if it can't calculate anything. It is really designed to be put on a computer that purrs along 24/7."

Graeme also suggests adding:

"IMPORTANT: DO NOT USE THIS INFORMATION FOR MAKING DECISIONS!"

"Especially  in NZ areas where a fire authority also issues fire danger ratings, with a link to the "official" site."

Offline iomkiwi

• Not a Brontophobic
  • Financial Supporter
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 07:36:16 PM »

I started with the stable version to get it going, now everything is ticking along nicely I might install the Beta.

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
    • Port Robinson Home Page
  • Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2014, 08:59:10 AM »
I've been meandering down the same path as Iomkiwi and as it was a rainy day yesterday spent a little while checking out how the graphs work. It's quite an interesting little project and as Iomkiwi says, reading the documentation several times over turns on a few light bulbs at the right time.
I've always been under the impression that fire danger ratings stay pretty constant rising and falling slowly over a period. The daily variations are quite an eye opener.

I think I'll give it a few months, checking it against "real world, look out the window" observation, before I try publishing anything.

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2015, 01:57:04 PM »
"Fire Weather" fairly boring come the Winter months so I decided to add a couple of tables in using the FWI Calculator tags to fill in time until Summer :)

So for anyone reading though this topic I now have a table for the Year stats and a table for the All Time Stats parsed by FWI Cal daily at mid day and uploaded.
You can create these using the FWI tags found under Help - Internet Options - File Options.

http://wairoa.net/weather/fwi/fire_index.php

What was pleasing to see, the data matches the Cumulus Records :)

Offline APNP

• Arthur's Pass Information
  • Station: Davis VantagePRO & VantageVUE + W830 station
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2015, 07:28:13 PM »
Windows 10 (Free Upgrade) & FWI Calc...

It has been noted that Windows 10 upgrade does not always adapt your clock & date formats to their previous settings after an upgrade. This may affect people who have the date format tags manually set in their FWI Calc upload file that is created by their weather station software. You will need to go into your Windows date/time settings and select the correct short date format (I found you had to dig your way to "additional date/time settings" to set it for NZ, as the generic drop-down list was not set to "English - World" formats; it defaulted to English - USA only).

Offline SteveFitz1

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2017, 01:26:14 PM »
I've been running FWI Calc for several years and it's been running unattended quite nicely. However, I happened recently noticed that the value for KBDI has been coming up '0' since last November. I've not made any changes to the setup within FWI Calc. I did upgrade to a newer release hoping that would help, but nothing changed.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with KBDI. I'm now into my 9th month without it being updated.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »
Hi Steve,

The only thing I can think of is a huge amount of rain. Check back and see if you have a high amount of rainfall around the date the zeros began. Like 150mm or more.
FWI would consider that a flood and hence zeros for a while. Then with on going rain FWI would have calculated the soil as moist if not saturated. Hence zeros.

Hopefully someone else may have some ideas also.

Cheers
Jenny

Offline SteveFitz1

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2017, 02:32:15 PM »
Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your response.

The rainfall totals for last November going forward when the zeros began have been only slightly above normal. Interestingly, in 2015, we had over 1.5 times our annual rainfall average and the KBDI hit '0' a few times, but within days always started climbing back up. There was a large rainfall event the day in November 2016 the zeroes started (60mm), but the zeroes have remained since.

Seve

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »
Hi Steve,

Sorry that is the only fix I know of. I will email the FWI guru and ask him if he has any ideas he could post here.

Cheers
Jenny

Offline SteveFitz1

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2017, 12:56:18 AM »
Hi Jenny,

Just checking back. Did you ever get a response from the FWI guru regarding my question?

Thanks,

Steve

Offline Wolfie33

• Administrator
    • Opotiki Town Weather
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2017, 06:17:25 PM »
Hi Steve
I'm not sure where things are at currently, in any case, I have sent a short query to the author.

Cheers
Aercus WS2083, Cumulus 1.9.4 on Windoze XP
Sensors on a broomstick in back yard, for now!!
Web:  Opotiki weather

Offline Wolfie33

• Administrator
    • Opotiki Town Weather
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2017, 09:20:58 PM »
Hi Steve

Reply from the author as follows:
Unfortunately I have now pulled the pin on FWICalc completely, and support was removed well over two years ago.

That said, he has read your query and has been trying to reproduce the issue, and maybe offer a suggestion &/or fix.
But he hasn't been able to reproduce the issue.

Cheers

Offline Wolfie33

• Administrator
    • Opotiki Town Weather
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2017, 09:39:38 PM »
As stated, direct support for FWI Calc is no longer available.

However files can still be downloaded:

INSTALLATION FILE...
    Windows Installation MSI file:    http://www.arthurspass.com/fwicalc/software/fwi_calc_latest.msi (Build 109 is latest v.10.5.2.109)

REPAIR FILES...
    FWICalc EXE file:              http://www.arthurspass.com/fwicalc/software/FWI.exe
    FWICalc Math DLL:           http://www.arthurspass.com/fwicalc/software/fwimath.dll
    FWICalc Data DLL:           http://www.arthurspass.com/fwicalc/software/fwidat.dll
    FWICalc Auto Updater:    http://www.arthurspass.com/fwicalc/software/FWIupdate.exe

HELP FILE...
    FWICalc CHM Help File:    http://www.arthurspass.com/fwicalc/software/fwicalc.chm

If he becomes aware of issues with the software he will work on a fix in his own time & create new builds occasionally.

Cheers

Share via twitter

xx
FWI Calculator Project

Started by APNP

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2020, 08:53:04 PM
by TokWW
xx
Display software

Started by Ground Source

2 Replies
Last post October 16, 2013, 09:43:14 AM
by JennyLeez
xx
Kiwitas: Mac Software Packages

Started by JennyLeez

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2017, 10:50:03 AM
by JennyLeez
xx
Weather Display Software

Started by ArjanH

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2017, 08:46:30 PM
by Wolfie33
question
POLL: What Weather Software are you using?

Started by gabba

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2015, 10:15:26 PM
by GSVNoFixedAbode