Author Topic: MetService forces WeatherWatch.co.nz to stop Daily Highs service  (Read 14026 times)

Offline Te Puke Weather

• Financial Supporter
  • Te Puke Weather Station
    • Te Puke Weather
MetService forces WeatherWatch.co.nz to stop Daily Highs service

Posted by hitadmin on Fri, 20/04/2012 - 11:37
Filed in:National News
The government forecaster, MetService, has again flexed its muscle towards WeatherWatch.co.nz by raising the price of our daily highs feed from zero to almost $30,000 - forcing WeatherWatch.co.nz to scrap the service altogether.

Head weather analyst Philip Duncan says the pricing is astronomical for a product that isn't even used for forecasting.  "This is the list of daily highs, taken from publicly owned weather stations across the country. We expected a small fee, but to suggest $29,400 plus GST per year as a price is simply designed to again block WeatherWatch.co.nz from providing a service to the public of New Zealand".

"We accept the government asks MetService to make a profit but when does that become anti competitive?  MetService is one of the most profitable SOE's in the country, they don't need to charge wild prices for very small products"

Mr Duncan says the WeatherWatch.co.nz website receives only a fraction of the traffic MetService.com does, but are treated as serious competition.  "We have never seen MetService as competition, we openly say we'd like to work with them, especially around severe weather events, but they aren't interested".

MetService has long had a reputation for being expensive.  In the past few years WeatherWatch.co.nz has been quoted anywhere from $40,000 to $200,000 to have radar images on our website - the very same ones that are free at MetService.com.

Despite being a state owned enterprise MetService receives significant tax payer funding for various services.

Mr Duncan says he will be raising this with the Commerce Commission, as he did last year with the rain radar network.

After years of public pressure by WeatherWatch.co.nz MetService finally agreed to free up the radar service in November last year, from hourly updates to 7 minute updates

"In the past I think some in the public thought WeatherWatch had an issue with MetService - now I think the public are very clearly seeing it is their bullying attitude towards us that is causing the problems".

The price change came when WeatherWatch.co.nz asked MetService for a new FTP site to retrieve the data.  "We said we expected a reasonable fee to do this and were willing to pay one - but $30,000 a year for something that is used as just an interest piece at the end of each day is simply ludicrous".

Despite this data being free in most other countries MetService says the pricing was based on other prices in the market.

"We have a serious problem when the government forecaster jumps at the chance to charge huge amounts of money for these products but refuses to even reply to our requests of working proactively together in the interests of public safety, which we have done repeatedly over the past 6 months".

WeatherWatch.co.nz is looking into other options for the service.

www.weatherwatch.co.nz

Brendan - Te Puke Weather Station

Live weather data at www.tepukeweather.co.nz

Weather Station: Digitech XC-0348

All for one, and one for all.....

Offline Weather Display

• Weather Display
Re: MetService forces WeatherWatch.co.nz to stop Daily Highs service
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »
there is the RAW ASOS type data available on their web site, every 3 hours, parsed out and used by metvue.com to show the current (every 3 hour) windspeed and temperature and last hour rain data from the M/S stations around NZ.
Met Vue could use that parsed out data to come up with the max/min temperature for all the stations
I wrote a program that did just that (and max windspeed, and showed current temp/windspeed)....I dont have it working now, as the service metvue started up superceeded it....

Brian
Awhitu, SW of Auckland

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
    • Wairoa, Hawkes Bay Weather
  • Station: WS3085
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 06:02:25 PM »
I presume you are speaking of the Maps they have running under Current Weather.
http://www.metvuw.com/nzweather/

With permission from weather watch we were also posting the Highs for the day in our daily weather thread. I guess we better not start leeching them off the Metservice without permission.
I dont have a spare $30,000.

Of course if 1 of us had more time we could actually do our own Highs and Lows :)
Living in Wairoa, Northern Hawkes Bay

Offline OhauitiWeather

• Ohauiti Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 08:02:09 PM »
Hold that thought Jenny.

I am starting to think through the development of a database application to read in all the daily data files from any or all of the Stations represented in this forum.  Once established this would allow for the production of formatted data and reporting.

I have not yet decided whether I would write this in Microsoft Access which would mean it is a desktop database or if I might use Visual Studio LightSwitch which would mean I could also put the database online and allow others to use the data, username & password required so not just anyone would be allowed access to it.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions along these lines then I would appreciate any feedback you might have.  Lets show MetService that they are not the only ones that can collect and publish data?
David Harris
Ohauiti Weather
WH1091 Wireless Weather Station
Ohauiti Weather :: Home  powered by Cumulus MX 3.0.0 b3041
"If it wasn't for the last minute nothing would ever get done"

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 08:24:51 PM »
Yep I am also thinking along those lines.
I am collecting manually 42 stations data a day now. I could easily turn that into 50. That is a good coverage of New Zealand. The only trouble is the data provided is not universal. In fact their is 5 different layouts I am sourcing from. Hence your idea is not going to be easy. 
There are 2 txt files that are the main ones so even if we could sort something for them, that would be a start.

Keep thinking Ohauiti :)

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:31:57 PM »
Also along these lines, maybe weather watch would like to start a Backyard section the same as Weatherbug did.  To get the daily high temp alone would probably only take half an hour with a good bookmark list. We could sell ours for say $10,000 :)

Offline Weather Display

• Weather Display
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 08:48:48 PM »
check out
http://www.nordicweather.net/nwn.php
for what can be done re toplists link

Offline iomkiwi

• Not a Brontophobic
  • Financial Supporter
  • Kerikeri, Bay of Islands
    • Kerikeri Weather Station
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 08:54:21 PM »
I've got a couple of ideas - talk to Ken True, he has the experience of sucking the info from all the different types of stations.

- and talk to Mr Duncan at WeatherWatch to let him know we could solve his problem at a much lower cost
Alan

Davis VP2+ with FARS
Blitzortung lightning (Green and Red)
Win7 pro
Weather Display, WXsim,

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:56:22 PM »
Hi weather display. Yes I did find it.
But also decided we were talking a lot of work here :)

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 09:02:02 PM »

True on both accounts but we will need control and ownership of whatever we do. We are slowly building a very neat tight network.

Offline David

• Howick Weather Station
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 07:50:17 PM »
They are still posting daily highs? http://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/daily_highs

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 09:07:33 PM »
Just to make note here also.
The metservice upgraded a couple of weeks ago and added around 8 new Stations.
I see WW has gone back to that original list to report today removing that 8.
I am wondering why. Maybe they still think they have 'permission' or better still maybe Phil won lotto :)
Let the battle of the highs begin :)

Offline iomkiwi

• Not a Brontophobic
  • Financial Supporter
  • Kerikeri, Bay of Islands
    • Kerikeri Weather Station
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »
It could of course just be that their current contract is still valid :)

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 09:41:53 PM »
Correct but why hide the page then?

Offline deepsouthweather

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 10:49:09 PM »
If you (in this case Metservice) had information that you had to pay for to maintain wouldnt you expect some payment for its use, especially when its your so called competition? Or am I being mean spirited like Metservice?? Also its all well in good suggesting using this network of wx stations for a daily highs list BUT accuracy of alot of these stations is questionable? I have had various PWS and the minimum for accuracy & reliability in my opinion is DAVIS stations.

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 11:23:19 PM »
Correct on both scores.
Most of us would agree yes pay for metservice data but $30,000 for a few highs each day is just a tad over the top.

Not only is the station data questionable, but the station owners keep going on holiday on me :)

Seriously though I can not see anything along this vain for some time. None of us have the time at present. It would also have to come under backyards stations and this is a whole different ball game.
So those two can argue there highs and we will continue with our yesterdays :)

Offline gabba

• Financial Supporter
    • Hutt Weather
  • Station: Vantage Vue, Weather Display, Webcam.
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 12:22:56 AM »
I agree with you as well deepsouth. One thing I have never liked about ww is the fact that they are media backed giving them an opportunity to push their side of the story often via poor unbalanced media reporting.
I'm always suspicious when ww attempt to Garner support in this way.

If you re read the article you'll see it reports purely a ww viewpoint. There is no comment from ms to balance the reporting. And neither would you expect it. Commercial discussions between organisations are not normally discussed in the media. But for some reason ww have decided to go public on this.

I see their point on this 30k is alot for something the ms publishes on their website (but not for free. Its provided under contract to the government paid out of our taxes) but I don't think that's a fair comparison. Ww appear to ask the metservice for this data in a non standard format accessed in a non standard way. Both parties agree that there should be a cost. Ww provide their requirements. Ms cost them and provide a price and ww then start publicly attacking the ms in an attempt to put pressure on the ms to reduce the cost. That  isnt a great way to perform contract negotiations. 

What should happen is that ww change their requirements to reduce the cost. As an extreme example if ww really wanted to save money they could just pull them manually off the ms website for free- but obviously they don't want that and they would have to state the data is provided by the nz govt and or the metservice. Somewhere in the middle is the point that everyone is happy with and that's what both parties negotiate to.

At a guess I would suggest 30 k is about on the mark for this work assuming that the FTP server needs to be  purchased and setup , potentially a backup server is required as well, and the data format needs to be agreed, built, access through firewalls established and the whole lot gets tested and supported ongoing by the ms . I don't see alot of change out of 30k for that.

So it seems to me that the original article doesn't compare apples with apples. Yes the data is available on the ms website but if you start to think about what they are actually asking for, what's involved and what the article is not telling you, then I think you'll find that as much as we would like to think it is, the whole truth may not be being presented here

My 2c anyway or maybe I'm just looking at this way too deeply!

Sent from my idroid using tapatalk2
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:50:40 AM by gabba »
Cheers, Andrew

Vantage Vue, Weather Display, Webcam.
www.huttweather.co.nz

Maungaraki, Lower Hutt, New Zealand

Offline TokWW

• Grim
  • Global Moderator
  • Another Engineer
    • Tokoroa North Weather
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 12:40:16 AM »
I believe the data is available in a serial file format for other organisations already and WW want in on it as well.  It's nothing new, its just others are paying for it already but perhaps not that much...  haha!

Offline Weather Display

• Weather Display
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »
good write up that gabba  :)

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 12:35:51 PM »
Gabba: As an extreme example if ww really wanted to save money they could just pull them manually off the ms website for free- but obviously they don't want that and they would have to state the data is provided by the nz govt and or the metservice.

I would not even attempt to copy the highs from MS. We would probably get our knuckles wrapped. Hence why we dont. Copyright. Apparently we are not allowed to copy anything from their site and republish. WW would be much the same I guess.

They have not given this forum permission to do as such  and despite my effects I doubt they will. Anything we are republishing as with maps is infringing on their copyright.
Maybe the forum needs to be weary of this.

Share via twitter

xx
MetService / Weatherwatch stoush continues

Started by gabba

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2014, 10:40:59 PM
by gabba
exclamation
Gale force forecast forces Leg 4 split

Started by iomkiwi

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2012, 08:25:23 PM