New Zealand Local Weather Forum
Weather Discussion => International => Topic started by: Mark on December 21, 2015, 04:11:48 PM
-
MANY CHCH WEATHER STATIONS NOT RECORDING THE HIGH TEMPS LIKE THE metservice ONE.
The top one is the metservice one.
from weather under ground.
-
From what I heard, the metservice station at Chch airport is further inland and the sea breeze did not penetrate that far. Apparently there were quite a few stations reading above 36C in inland Canterbury as well, so it doesn't seem unreasonable
-
Thank you David for your input. That why I put this in a post to see what people think.
I have always been between- 0.5c and +1c out with the metservice readings and in most cases I have read warmer in summer.
But not today the biggest difference ever at -3c on metservice readings.
-
Are you closer to the coast Mark? That might explain it :)
-
4km east of the airport.
-
I saw someone post yesterday that they were mid 20's and they were at Scarborough, so it looks like the sea breeze may have kicked in.
Historically I believe the ChchAWS was always warmer because it was further inland and therefore not exposed as much to the sea breeze. I'm assuming the 36C was measured in the botanic gardens, and if that was the case it would be difficult to beleive, given the botanic gardens are much closer to the sea than the ChCh AWS
-
Thanks gabba it was record at the airport.
Their was a sea breeze in Bishopdale which did keep the temp down.
At 4.21pm the Northwest started to blow in Bishopdale and the air temp went up to 33c and the airport temp drop from 36c to 33c at the same time.
-
Historically the reasonably sheltered Gardens site has been about 0.6C warmer (*) than the airport site, though the difference has reduced a little with more buildings in the airport area and some increase in shading at the Gardens.
*Tmax avg diff = 0.3C, Tmin avg diff = 0.9C. there is also seasonal variation in the differences, which are largest in winter.