New Zealand Local Weather Forum

Weather Discussion => Hardware Software and Technology => Topic started by: iomkiwi on May 30, 2014, 01:41:03 PM

Title: Northland Rain Radar
Post by: iomkiwi on May 30, 2014, 01:41:03 PM
Some of you may remember a previous post I made about going to a meeting about the 'new' rain radar to be installed in Northland. The post was on the previous forum so don't look too hard for it :D
Well three years later after many delays it is close to being finished :)

I have just spent a very interesting morning having a close look at the site, still can't really believe how close I was able to get, the guys at the site were very helpful and made sure I saw the really good stuff.

Don't know when the radar will go live, still waiting for some essential services to be hooked up.

Will post pics or links soon - maybe even some video.

 8)
Title: Re: Northland Rain Radar
Post by: iomkiwi on May 31, 2014, 07:46:50 PM
Here is a link to some pics

http://photos.kerikeriweather.co.nz/gallery/index.php?dp=Weather+radar/ (http://photos.kerikeriweather.co.nz/gallery/index.php?dp=Weather+radar/)

And a couple of videos

Huia hill radar (http://youtu.be/lTvwcddG3GI)

Inside the radar (http://youtu.be/HV6xd_4-hgY)

I have another video but just need to check it is OK to share.
Title: Re: Northland Rain Radar
Post by: iomkiwi on July 28, 2014, 06:32:48 PM
Went to the opening today, think I only took a couple more photos of the radar (nothing more to show really).

Radar is still not live on website due to a comms issue, the fibre link has not been established yet and the satellite link is not really suitable as a permanent connection (and likely to go out in heavy rain).

There is some coverage on Maori TV news tonight - at 7pm and 11pm which are repeats of the 5:30pm bulletin.

This is a video I took on my first visit, they were having trouble with a 'clunking' noise when the radar was changing direction, the video has both the clunking and the non clunking remedied at the end.

http://youtu.be/6pKwXEVYAjo (http://youtu.be/6pKwXEVYAjo)