Author Topic: HTPC what do I need - high level view  (Read 3628 times)

Offline gabba

• Financial Supporter
    • Hutt Weather
  • Station: Vantage Vue, Weather Display, Webcam.
HTPC what do I need - high level view
« on: April 06, 2015, 06:52:18 PM »
probably the best way to do this is provide a high level of what is required then everyone can chime in with their solutions. There are number of ways of achieving a home theatre system. I'll provide what to do with a PC but there are other ways, so if you have other methods, then post as a response to this.

So obviously you need a pc. You also need a display of some type, be it a tv, or a projector or something else.

If you are going for a tv, then you don't necessarily need a smart tv. The idea is to move all the smarts off the tv, and into the PC.

If you have a smart tv and want to use that you can, but it will limit you in what you can do. For example many new smart TVs have a number of apps eg Netflix that you can use. However if you are just using the tv, you are reliant on the tv manufacturer providing the app.

Before got out and buying a brand new tellie  for the latest app, consider what will happen when the next big thing comes out. In my case I forked out for a flash smart tv when they first came on the market, but the vendor now no longer provides updates to the software, so no Netflix app for me. Luckily I offloaded all the smarts to my PC , so I've been watching Netflix for well over a year! Spend the money on a good picture, not the flashy smarts.

The PC is another story for another post.

For high definition tv, play blu Rays etc, you need to use a special cable or two called an hdmi cable to link everything up. The reasons behind it are around having a "pipe" to send all that high definition goodness down. Also using he I there is no way you can extract the content and record it anywhere, which makes it perfect for ensure copyright is maintained. So you will need hdmi cables connecting all your equipment right from source, right through to output.

Finally you may want to run the lot through your stereo. The modern day version of a stereo is an audio video receiver or avr. Again you can spend thousands on that and a speaker set

Sounds simple? Well there are lots of variations, but the ability to find a solution that fits almost any budget and need is what makes it interesting.

Feel free to post your questions and contributions on the board
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:31:04 PM by gabba »

Cheers, Andrew

Vantage Vue, Weather Display, Webcam.
www.huttweather.co.nz

Maungaraki, Lower Hutt, New Zealand

Offline iomkiwi

• Not a Brontophobic
  • Financial Supporter
  • Kerikeri, Bay of Islands
    • Kerikeri Weather Station
Re: HTPC what do I need
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 07:42:09 PM »
For those who always end up getting their wires crossed - there is also a wireless option.

Get a 'Chromecast', it's like an oversized USB drive that plugs into an HDMI port on your TV.

Then download the free app to your phone and/or tablet and whatever is on your phone can be 'cast' on to your TV. If you use Chrome as your PC browser then anything you browse to can be also on your TV, laptops will do it out of the box, desktops need to be made wireless - either by having it built in or by getting a wireless adaptor.

You will need a wireless router in your house but that is probably already the case as most modems have wireless as well.
Alan

Davis VP2+ with FARS
Blitzortung lightning (Green and Red)
Win7 pro
Weather Display, WXsim,

Offline gabba

• Financial Supporter
    • Hutt Weather
  • Station: Vantage Vue, Weather Display, Webcam.
Re: HTPC what do I need
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »
Yep - there are many ways you can set something like this up. Personally I like using PC's because I like to tinker!! It provides alot of flexibility, but can be alot more complicated because of that

Share via twitter

xx
Iran earthquakes level six villages

Started by Mark

1 Replies
Last post August 13, 2012, 06:00:49 PM
by JennyLeez
xx
Tolngarino alert raised to Level 1

Started by Suezy

0 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 02:51:27 PM