Author Topic: Wunderground - changes to API  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Wolfie33

• Administrator
    • Opotiki Town Weather
Wunderground - changes to API
« on: December 01, 2018, 09:19:40 PM »
Follow on from   Wunderground about to "Shaft" PWS Data Contributors    Wunderground about to "Shaft" PWS Data Contributors in General Discussion - Page 1 of 1

The following excerpt appears in a post on the Forum/Blog "End of Service for the Weather Underground" from about 2 weeks ago
at    https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/weatherapi/topics/end-of-service-for-the-weather-underground-api
Victoria Gardner, Official Rep

I said that PWS owners would be a protected class "for now" because once they are the only class, they are all protected by default.  I have no information whatsoever of PWS owners being shut out in the future. 

PWS owners who are uploading their data will have uninterrupted access to their data, and a limited range of additional items.  They will be able to access up to 1000 calls per day and 30 calls/minute.  (This reflects an increase over what I mentioned before, which was the base level for the WU API.)  When the API for the PWS uploaders is ready, we will provide a transition period to switch from the WU API to the new API.  For PWS uploaders, the Weather Underground API will not close down on December 31.

For everyone else, and yes, this includes the many people with developer keys, the Weather Underground API will close down on December 31, 2018, unless they have made a prior contractual arrangement with IBM/The Weather Company.

Victoria Gardner

Previous comments have been unclear at best, & this provides a better indication as to how things will likely pan out after 31 Dec.

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 07:38:08 AM by Wolfie33 »

Aercus WS2083, Cumulus 1.9.4 on Windoze XP
Sensors on a broomstick in back yard, for now!!
Web:  Opotiki weather

Offline JennyLeez

• Administrator
  • Wairoa
    • Wairoa, Hawkes Bay Weather
  • Station: WS3085
Re: Wunderground - changes to API
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 10:25:11 PM »
Thanks for the info wolfie :)
Living in Wairoa, Northern Hawkes Bay

Offline Wolfie33

• Administrator
    • Opotiki Town Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 03:03:53 PM »
This was posted a few days ago at      https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/weatherapi/topics/weather-underground-api-update

Weather Underground API update
Hi there from the Weather Underground API Transition Team.

We’d like to reiterate a few things and let you know of a few small timing changes as we move closer to the previously announced retirement of the Weather Underground API:

Based on the response to the previous announcement as we neared year end, we have extended the retirement date to February 15, 2019 to allow you more transition time.
    All Weather Underground API keys will stop working on February 15, 2019 unless otherwise agreed upon with Weather Underground.
    All credit card charges for existing Weather Underground API subscriptions will stop on December 26, 2018.

Personal Weather Station (PWS) owners/contributors will continue to be eligible for a free replacement API service selected from our standard IBM/Weather Company standard offerings that contain:

Current observations from the PWS network
    5 day daily forecast
    PWS historical data
    PWS lookup by geocode, zip code and location
    Call volume: 1500/day, 30/minute

You can check out our PWS contributor replacement API documentation here.

If you need higher call volumes, you can still sign up for a paid API subscription plan from The Weather Company.  Prices begin at $200/month. To have a representative contact you or to request a demo, please click to fill out the contact form.

Finally, we are humbled by the loyalty you’ve shown us during this difficult transition period.  Thank you for your continued support of the Weather Underground community.

No idea where you sign up for the new api,
and I have to say this whole sorry affair is one monumental PR disaster!!

Offline Wolfie33

• Administrator
    • Opotiki Town Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 09:24:55 AM »
Latest by email this this morning:
Good morning, PWS uploaders!

Let me thank you for being such a wonderful, patient group.  As we approach the closing date for the Weather Underground API on February 15, 2019, several of you have asked for updates.  So I want to share with you what I know at this moment.

1.  We are hoping that the gateway for obtaining keys on the new API will open on February 15, 2019.  In order to provide PWS uploaders with time to transition their API calls, all current WU API keys that are linked to a PWS will stay open through Friday, March 1, 2019.  That gives you two full weeks to sign up for a new key and change your calls.

2.  For those who already use the WU API, not all API keys are linked to the PWS.  If you used two different email addresses when setting up the PWS and API key, they may not be connected.  If you are concerned that they are not connected, please contact me and let me check.  If they are not, I can make sure they are connected in my database so that your key is not shut off.  I have verified whether the API key sent to me is safe or not, and if not, put it in the protected key list.  You will receive a second email from me if your key is among this group.

3.  I continue to maintain an email list for news about the transition to the new API for PWS owners.  If you know others who would like me to add them to the list, please have them email me with their PWS id, which I use to verify that you are eligible for the PWS API.   

The link to the most recent update on the Forum, with links to documentation and details about data:  https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/weatherapi/topics/weather-underground-api-update

Thank you once again for being loyal Weather Underground participants!

Victoria Gardner
victoria.gardner@ibm.com

Cheers

Share via twitter

xx
WUnderground New API Gateway is Open

Started by Wolfie33

0 Replies
Last post March 04, 2019, 09:48:51 PM
by Wolfie33
xx
Wunderground about to "Shaft" PWS Data Contributors