Author Topic: Home Phone & nuisance calls  (Read 2959 times)

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
    • Port Robinson Home Page
Home Phone & nuisance calls
« on: May 15, 2018, 09:23:31 AM »
The subject of nuisance calls from "Windows technicians" advising of faults on your computer has been covered before. The last few months, I've had up to five calls a week from them. A computer with tens of thousands of phone numbers dials your number, (so called Robo dialing). Once it has been answered, the computer hands it over to a call centre (probably in India). This is the silence you get when you pick the phone up.  Your details are then displayed on a screen. The call centre then may choose to engage you in conversation or not dependant on what has been previously recorded about you on the screen. The fact that you have to get up from what you are doing, walk over to the phone and answer it has been very irritating.

I thought I'd pass on what so far has been a successful solution to the problem for me.

For 10 years we subscribed to Vodafone Home Phone which is a 2G service for isolated areas. In December they put the price up 25% which made me look to see if there were any cheaper alternatives. At the same time we upgraded our broadband to RBI 4G boosting the speed from about 5mbps  to 25mbps and a much improved lag time. I finally ported our landline number to 2Talk, an Internet phone service which for $11.50 per month gives 250 minutes National and 2000 minutes local calling. The best part is that it gives you full control over your line and amongst the many features offered at no extra cost is "Auto Attendant".  You'll all be familiar with this. Ring any corporation and you'll be greeted with a dulcet voice telling you press 1 for this and 2 for that. WELL, I've set up my own which asks any caller to press any key for the call to be connected and if they are specifically call centres to hang up and not waste both of our time.  I used a free text to speech internet service to record the message with a lady in a very posh english voice delivering it. I have let my regulars caller know what to expect when they ring!

This has worked a treat and for the last 3 weeks I've not had a single cold caller. Either it fools the robo dialer or the call centres don't press a key. Either way, it is heaven sent peace.  If anyone would like any further info, they can PM me.  I am heading off to Europe for 6 weeks at the end of this week though and might not be checking emails regularly.

cheers
TC

Davis VP Pro2 wireless with Solar sensor using Weather Display (ver10.37S,build52) running on Windows XP.
Port Robinson, North Canterbury weather station: Port Robinson, NewZealand

Offline ato2

• Financial Supporter
Re: Home Phone & nuisance calls
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 03:27:37 PM »
Brilliant mate! Way to go!
Cheers
Tom
"Send more beer!"
[found in a report to HQ, from a Officer stationed in some outpost in Roman Britain]

Share via twitter

xx
DOJ calls Megaupload's motion to dismiss 'incredible'

Started by OhauitiWeather

0 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 03:13:34 AM
by OhauitiWeather
xx
Record ‘nuisance flooding’ in many U.S. cities tied to Pacific weather pattern

Started by Martin4Jay

0 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 10:01:18 AM