isothermalsection

Author Topic: Dangers of Windows Onedrive  (Read 1455 times)

Offline TonyC

• Financial Supporter
    • Port Robinson Home Page
  • Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Dangers of Windows Onedrive
« on: January 02, 2019, 08:40:56 AM »
Happy New Year everyone.
I have used Windows Onedrive quite extensively as I have 3 computers which are situated in different locations. By putting files on Onedrive, they are accessible at any time to all. I've tended to copy the files I want to share, directly into a Onedrive directory.

At one of my remote locations, my Internet connection has a limited data cap which I keep an eye on throughout the month. This month all of a sudden, my data use shot through the roof which sounded warning bells in my head. On further investigation I found that I had been working on editing large video files, using my desktop as temporary working space. I'm not sure whether one of the latest Windows updates have changed default settings as I've been carriyng out the work on video files in the same manner for a long time, but it turned out that every temporary file I created was immediately uploaded to Onedrive. When I deleted it, of course it was deleted from Onedrive and the only evidence was the data usage of the upload. It also possibly accounted for what I thought was poor internet performance as it chugged away uploading 3-4gb files.

I've since logged into Onedrive and turned off the syncing, but I thought I'd pass on this experience as it is a trap for the unwary. Be careful if you have syncing turned on which directories are set up and whether you want all files created in those directories to be automatically uploaded to the cloud.

cheers

Tony C.

Davis VP Pro2 wireless with Solar sensor using Weather Display (ver10.37S(Build93) running on a Micro PC Windows 10
Port Robinson, North Canterbury weather station: Port Robinson, NewZealand

Offline ato2

• Financial Supporter
Re: Dangers of Windows Onedrive
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 09:20:07 AM »
Oh, no, that is a real curse!  >:D

If it was an update, I wonder what it was?  Updates should come with bigger health warnings, anyway, but you are right re the dangers of sole storage on Onedrive, handy though Onedrive is.
"Send more beer!"
[found in a report to HQ, from a Officer stationed in some outpost in Roman Britain]

Share via twitter

xx
Microsoft to retire Windows Live brand ahead of Windows 8 launch

Started by OhauitiWeather

0 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 08:42:45 PM
by OhauitiWeather
xx
Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 Metro App Ecosystem Set to Grow

Started by OhauitiWeather

0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 08:59:26 PM